I had a rewarding evening at the UCCAI Roundtable last night, teaching and discussing a list of things that board members should know. It was a very engaged and interactive discussion with about 30 participants; mostly HOA and condominium board members: feedback was universally favorable.
For those of you who couldn’t attend; here’s the list of things you should know:
- Whether your association is a condominium;
- Whether you can fine your residents (and if so, how to fine);
- Whether your association is adequately insured;
- Whether you, as a board member, are adequately insured by your association;
- How assessments should be calculated in your association and how assessments are actually being calculated;
- What your association’s governing documents are, and what they say;
- That your association’s insurance requirements may change effective as of July 1, 2011;
- That your association will need to be registered with the Utah Department of Commerce as of July 1, 2011;
- That you need to know about the Fair Housing Laws;
- How to hire the right people for your association.